eSIM/SIM card pre-orders are now available nationwide. Use promo FREESIM in the app.
Whether electronically distributed (eSIM) or a physical card inserted into your device, the SIM card is used to identify you on our network of networks. In this post, we are sharing some of the progress we've made so far and collecting members' feedback on some of the unique features we are planning.
SIM technology and specs
We are using secure, high-quality SIM/eSIM technology from one of the major SIM card manufacturers. The software on the SIM card can be programmed to do many things, and even small apps can run on it. From a technical standpoint, here's what we're planning.
- Configured to connect to Multiple Mobile Networks using our network code 302 100
- 3G, 4G/LTE, 5G network compatible
- voLTE support
- Wi-Fi Calling support
- Automatic authentication with AAA (i.e. premium Wi-Fi networks)
- 1MB internal capacity
- Up to 100 important numbers baked in including (WSPs, ISPs, Roadside assistance)
- Built-in NFC support to enable future integrations secured by your SIM
- Over the air updates (SMS/HTTP) will keep your SIM software fresh
- Re-usable (leave, come back, we will always accept your SIM with open arms)
eSIM (embedded SIM)
The easiest and fastest way to subscribe to get connected to dotmobile network is via eSIM. The list of benefits is long, from wastage (we tried to decrease the footprint of physical SIM as best as we could), but also function.It stays on your device for whenever you need it. Secondary line perhaps on iPhone? Apple Watch? All can get connected in an instance. And all that without needing to find a SIM card. Other features are identical to physical SIM. In fact it is the same SIM profile, just delivered electronically and placed securely on an embedded SIM module over the air (eSIM).
Physical SIM card design
The dotmobile SIM card will be available for any phone that does not support eSIM or just a preference thing (we do not judge). You will be able to select the SIM preference during pre-order and when we launch the wireless service in your area.
We’ve spent a considerable amount of time designing the SIM and thinking about the details around security. Multi-network support. And impact on the environment. 90% of SIM card material almost directly goes to the bin.
First order of business was making the most of the physical SIM material our of recycled and biodegradable material, not from plastic. We also got rid of the long 16 number printed on the SIM card (too long to enter), but also a security risk for unauthorized port-outs or sim swaps. You can read more about it here.
Let us know what you think. We are still iterating before manufacturing and any bit of feedback helps.
SIM card feature list:
- SIM code simplifies registering your SIM through the app, 6 letters instead of 16 numbers
- Tri-punch design for standard, micro, and nano SIM card sizes
- QR code opens the app to register the SIM, or download it if not installed
- Made from biodegradable, recycled materials to reduce environmental impact